Blackberry & Strawberry Spiced Cobbler
2 cups blackberries
1 cup strawberries, diced
1/2 cup sugar, divided in half
1 cup (125 grams) flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1/4 tsp salt (skip if you use salted butter)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1. In a colander or large strainer, combine blackberries, strawberries, and 1/4 cup of sugar. The fruit will begin to exude juices as a result of the sugar drawing out water from the fruit; allow it to drain off for about 15 minutes. Don't worry, you'll still get plenty of juice!
2. Preheat the oven to 350F and spray the inside of a large baking dish with cooking spray.
3. In a large bowl, cream the butter and the other 1/4 cup of sugar until light and fluffy.
4. In another bowl or large measuring cup, sift together the flour, baking powder, spices, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with the milk; beat until smooth.
5. Pour the fruit into your baking dish. Spoon the batter over the fruit. Bake until the cake on top is a nice golden brown and is cooked through, about 30-40 minutes. Allow to cool for about 20 minutes before serving up!
Some food for thought...
- This recipe makes enough for 4-6 people. You can serve it with ice cream or whipping cream if you'd like, but it's just as delicious on it's own and warm.
- If you don't have blackberries and/or strawberries, substitute with other fruit! Peaches are great in the summertime, blueberries are yummy in late winter/early spring, and you can use apples mixed with late summer berries in late summer/early fall. The sky is the limit!
- The spices in this recipe are optional, however I think they add some nice depth and pizazz to an otherwise plain dessert.